Patricia A. Powers, MD

Art Quilts & Fiber Arts

Come by the studio for a tour and a walk in the garden!



Friday, January 24, 2014

A venture into mixed media

I find regular posting a challenge!  That being said, my friend Robert Copelan was talking today at the Lynchburg Art Club and I was reminded that it had been a long time since I visited my own blog. 

Last month I tried Plaster of Paris on a cradled panel, and I was pretty happy with how it turned out.  I found a picture of a Byzantine cross with figures carved onto it. I adapted one of the figures and carved it into the plaster (not the easiest process, I admit!), and then painted and rubbed the darker paint into the carved lines.  It also picked up the irregularities in the plaster surface, which I liked.

I laid a strip of lace into the wet plaster and then pulled it up, left a nice imprint!

Here's a pic of the final piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment