Friday, January 28, 2011
Light snow is falling this morning, but there are patches of blue sky peeking thru the clouds. My kitties prefer indoors today.
I had the opportunity to meet Neva Hart a couple of weeks ago. She is an AQS certified quilt appraiser from Hardy, VA, and I asked her to formally appraise a couple of my quilts. I am very impressed by her professionalism and would recommend her highly to anyone looking for an appraiser. email firstname.lastname@example.org or www.quiltappraisers.org
I am doing some more mixed media these days, and I tried out some Paperclay recently to make these little bird ornaments. Paperclay was very easy to work with, air-dries, takes paint beautifully. The little stockings are made with "cloth paper": bits of torn papers glued to a muslin base. Some use diluted Elmer's glue, I used diluted Aileen's Tacky Glue.
Freezer paper serves well as a base to construct this as it peels off nicely after it's dry. I laid down the muslin, painted over the whole surface with a layer of the diluted glue and a foam brush. Then I randomly laid down torn bits of tissue, junk mail, book pages and painted another layer of glue over everything, and let it dry. For my stockings, I just covered with a sheer layer of white gesso so you could still see thru it, and added some glitter glue dots after I had cut and sewn them together.
Monday, January 17, 2011
I got sidetracked last fall making some quilts for some soldiers in Afghanistan, and then some Christmas projects: sketchbooks, ornaments, small pieces. I'll upload photos over the next few days.
I finished this little piece on the left a few weeks ago, "Askew". It's about 7"W x 17"H, and I stitched it to a piece of fabric that I then stapled to the back of a stretched floating canvas. The canvas has angled sides so the piece seems to "float" away from the wall, and I like it. Have been playing with some improvisational piecing lately, instead of my usual applique.
However, I just finished this other piece on the right today, "Captured Hearts", which I will send off tomorrow for the Studio Art Quilt Associaton's traveling trunk show. This one is 10" x 10". I am working on a piece with hearts inspired by e e cummings' poem for a show here next month, so hearts are on my brain, and I made some extra Tyvek hearts for various other projects.
I painted the Tyvek with Lumiere paints, then cut out the hearts freehand, then took my trusty iron, sandwiched the heart between 2 sheets of release paper, and carefully heated away. The paint side was away from the surface of the iron in this case, as the Tyvek forms convex bubbles on the side away from the iron. I used some of my paint cloth (this is the cloth I use to clean my brushes and wipe up spills) and then stitched the hearts on with metallic thread.