Patricia A. Powers, MD

Art Quilts & Fiber Arts

Come by the studio for a tour and a walk in the garden!



Tuesday, May 11, 2010

May 11, 2010



It's raining today, much needed. I pay so much more attention to the weather these days, now that we have this garden. I took this photo yesterday in the back yard before we lost the sun completely. I appreciate the rain, as it gives me an excuse to work in the studio instead of in the garden.

I'm starting work on a new series based on the doctor's white coat. The first one will be based on the Hippocratic Oath. I didn't realize there are several versions from original to modern. I had already planned to make the background primarily red because I like it, because of the contrast with white, and because red is the color of blood, without which there is no life. Then I learned just the other day that in chromotherapy, red represents healing and protection.

Chromotherapy is the science of using color for healing. Different colors have different effects:

  • white stimulates neurons
  • black calms
  • pink relieves stress
  • yellow eases depression
  • orange helps digestion
  • blue relaxes
  • green promotes serenity
  • purple soothes insomnia
  • red heals and protects

One can use colored lights, paint colors, the colors of cloth, gemstones, and the like. I think I will be using this symbolism more in my art.

No comments:

Post a Comment